From:
Stefanie Horsfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 18:55:35 EST

I received several responses to my question as to whether doxycycline antibiotic is GF.  It seems as though some brands are GF and others are not.  I called my pharmacy and they would have given me the doxycycline made by Wyeth-Ayerst - one that is not GF.  I have called my physician for a different antibiotic.  Thank goodness I looked into this ahead of time.  Here are some of the responses:

"Most doxycyclines are gf.  They are made by several different mfctr's.  So to be sure to ask the druggist about the gf status of the brand he gives you.  Or ask him for the  printout so you can check for yourself.
The second or third paragraph will be titled "contents" and will list all of  the ingredients.  One more thing: a lot of folks get diarrhea from doxycycline , or from  it's first cousins tetracycline or minocycline. This has nothing to do with celiac.  If you do get diarrhea, gas and cramps, don't assume it is celiac. Call  your doctor and he will prescribe another drug.  This seems to me to be enough of general interest to merit a reply to the list as a whole.  If it comes thru to you only, and not to the list as a whole, please forward it to
the entire list.  Thank you.  Jack Maines, retired MD, North Creek NY"

"It depends on the brand.  The generics manufactured by Zenith/Goldline is GF.  All products from Watson, TEVA, Roxanne, Schein and Danbury are GF.  The brand name Vibramycin (tabs and caps) are GF."

"It is g/f. the generic may not be."

"Doxycycline Hyclate by Wyeth-Ayerst is not GF."

"I was on that medication and it's not GF according my Celiac Guide to Prescription drugs."

"There is a website called rxlist.com.  This website allows you to enter the prescription name you have questions about (you can put either the generic or the brand name....it will find both).  The information that comes up after the search includes a list of the active ingredients and inactive ingredients.  I have entered all the medications my sons and I take and have found them to be safe. I hope this is helpful."

"I took it for a Respiratory infection and it nearly killed me. There are several different manufactures so you need to call the one who made it. Mine had gluten in it."

Stefanie
(Virginia, USA)