AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:57:29 -0800
AS an old man, I have become tired and totally bored with changing labels
to stick on me.  I used to be handicapped.  Then I became disabled.  After
that I supposedly was visually or physically challenged.  Someone then
thought maybe I must be differently abled.

It could almost be funny if it wasn't such a bore.  I'd rather put my
efforts into chaning someone else's behavior than having someone change my
label AGAIN!

the handicapped, disabled, challenged disoriented and disgruntled Norm Coombs
At 03:57 PM 2/28/02 -0500, you wrote:

I guess I will put in my two cents worth here.  As a person with a
disability, I feel much more comfortable with the word "disability" than
with a made-up word "differability."  To me, a person using a made-up word
like that feels uncomfortable with the idea of or contact with a person who
has a disability.  A few years ago, the terms "exceptional" and "special"
were applied as euphemisms for children with disabilities.  I did not
notice any beneficial effect of using these terms.  Also, the word
"diffent" implies different/eccentric/not quite acceptable.

In my experience as a person who is blind, individuals who have sight are
often not willing to use the word "blind" and resort to "non-sighted",
"vision impaired", (although so far, they have not resorted to "differently
visioned").  I have found that people who are super-reluctant to use the
word "blind" are either very uncomfortable dealing with me, or are afraid
of my discomfort with the word "blind".

I understand the concern that the word "disability" points to a lack, a
negative.  But, like it or not, the disability is the most immediately
noticed characteristic for people meeting us folks with visible
disabilities for the first time.  Also, those of us with disabilities
wouldn't wish them on our best friends, so disabilities are not exactly a
positive.  I think it's unfortunate that the community of people with
disabilities tends to make the community of people without disabilities
feel uncomfortable, no matter what word they use when referring to people
with disabilities.

- Jackie

[McCraw, Jackie]  -----Original Message-----