RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 06:09:54 -0500
Hi Rick,

I thought I'd make a few comments on your message:

>I get the impression than perhaps some of us have
>different enough genetic backgrounds that eating meat - or not -
>becomes a significant health issue.

Yes, I suppose that genetics is one factor out of many. In my case, in my
recent dietary history, I included some raw fish as part of my diet for a
while, but haven't had any since December. I've been thriving better in all
regards without it. I do include quality whole raw organic free range eggs
as part of my diet (2-3 per day). Other than that, no other animal products.

>We were vegetarian (cooked) for 8+ years.  I've had a sugar problem
>(addiction?) since I went to college.  I finally solved the issue by
>following up on two important pieces of research: exposure to white
>light from light bulbs (i.e.: a permanently extended day) and, the
>Atkins Diet.
>
>What I discovered was that we are biochemically driven to consume
>carbohydrates when exposed to a long day.  The theory that the authors
>presented was that humans had to fatten up for winter so the long
>summer day triggered a craving for sweets. Cortisol, dopamine,
>melatonin, seratonin and, ultimately insulin, play huge roles in the
>way we choose our foods and experience our daily existence.

I've read about that theory as well. But I don't buy it. In fact, I've also
read the opposite theory: that exposing oneself to more natural light (as in
summertime) will result in less of a desire for carbohydrate.

I ultimately think that the main problem here is just that many/most people
are mal-adapted to grains. As for "fattening up" via eating lots of
carbohydrate, well, I haven't had any such problem in relation to getting
about 66% of my calories from fresh fruit. My body is lean, toned, etc.. In
my case, I had some extra fat on my body when I ate a higher fat diet for a
while. When I cut down on the fat consumption, I lost that extra fat weight,
and became more toned and "ripped". I've never heard of an overweight/fat
frugivore. The overweight issues with regard to carbohydrate consumption
appear to be directly correlated with eating cooked carbohydrates,
especially grains (and of course also various "refined" junk carbohydrates).
So, while it's evident that eating bread can pack on the fat, I have yet to
see any evidence that eating fresh raw apples (for example) will do the same.

>According to
>anthropologists, virtually all primitive tribes, and, judging by the
>historical evidence, early Man, ate a diet comprised of roughly 70%
>animal products.

Perhaps during a certain portion of human history, that occurred. Whether or
not it was optimal for health is up to you to decide. From what I've read,
the amount of animal products included in the diet varied/varies per tribe.
Most of this high % animal product ingestion supposedly occurred in fairly
recent history, in the grand scheme of things. I suppose we could speculate
that it occurred in response to needing to eat what was available, for
survival. Spanning millions of years of "human" existence, with perhaps 99%
of the evidence of past human dietary behavior being unavailable, much is
indeed open to endless speculation and presumption. However, a study of
anatomy and physiology appears to reveal that the human body is designed as
a frugivore, with possible adaptations to some animal products. Speaking
only for myself, that's precisely the type of diet that gets me the best
results. Am I a direct descendant of a chimpanzee or a bonobo? Somehow I
doubt it. ;^)

>In support of the above, a Canadian by the name of Weston Price (a
>dentist) travelled around the world in the 30's and 40's studying the
>mouths of tribal peoples.  The result was a difficult to read tome (he
>was a lousy writer) that said, in effect, exposure to a Western diet
>leads to tooth decay and that - and this is the cruncher (no pun
>intended) - those cultures that ate meat were by far the healthiest
>out of all he studied.  Virtually all of the primitive ones ate their
>meat in that 70% ratio.

I have and have read that book. Nowhere did he indicate that almost all the
people he studied ate 70% of their foods as meat. None of the people were
vegan, granted. Some ate more animal products than others. He stated that
those who included seafood (plant and/or animal) in their diets had the best
bones and teeth. On that note, I find sea vegetables to be of great value
for me. Fish and shellfish are health concerns nowadays due to the high
mercury and other toxins content, due to mass pollution of the oceans.

Best,

Wes