From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 05:55:27 -0500
On Sun, 26 May 2002 14:25:52 -0500, Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The largest nutrition study ever done ( The Harvard Nurses Study) showed no
>correlation between fat consumption and heart disease.  Only glycemic load
> carbs) was positively associated with such disorders.

Harvard Nurses Study? The largest? It ma contain some heart studies
is as too. Which is it? Please oint it out from
http://www.siliconesurvivors.net/alexande.html
or http://www.channing.harvard.edu/nhs/pub.html#guts  .

There may be no connection to the amount of fat intake (which I believe)
but certainly you'll find a connection to the *type* of fat eaten.
Excess w-6 beeing the worst, then missing EFAs then saturated fats as the
main culprits (this is my own humble estimation).

So far the "may".
There *is* a strong connection between cholesterol levels and the
probability of heart disease.
" A 1% reduction in blood cholesterol is generally associated with a 2%
reduction in risk of coronary
artery disease, within "normal" North American levels of blood cholesterol."
( http://www.benbest.com/health/cardio2.html )

Whatever you claim is the main reason for elevated cholesterol
- I agree that insulin is involved.
But saturated fats, missing EFAs and dietary cholesterol *is* participiated
too.

And yes, I've seen the cholesterol myth article since years.
Reread it youself - it maily debates the sense of ch.-lowering *drugs*.

I know that you are constantly picturing a paleolithic life
like that of today's eskimos. All people in our anchestry constantly
hunting and eating not much else than the vast "herds" of buffalos or
other "megafauna" , very good and very fatty.
Disregarding that such herds animals are either very low in fat
(averaging a total of 4%, which is half as fatty as oats is) or they occur
very seasonally once a year (reindeer).
It's hard to explain how people could have eaten
such big amounts of these animals against the physiological constraints.
It's hard to explain how the same people could have reached a level of only
20% fat in their diet, out of marine cold water environments.
Have "your" neanderthals been hunting whales and and walrus and catching
deep water fish?
And later invaded and populated all world up to the south?

This is a discrepancy Loren Cordain addresses with his dietary regime and
his method of altering the fat from agricultural beasts.

If it comes to heart disease the habit of replacing true paleolithic food by
mass agricultural fatty cattle could turn out to be very dangerous.

regards

Amadeus Schmidt

P.S. Lately I found
http://www.benbest.com/health/cardio2.html   and
http://www.benbest.com/health/cardio1.html
to be a good basic information source on the issue of heart disease.
He's not aware of the benefits of addressing insulin diseases with
a high fat diet, but is also not contradicting it. And provinding a good
information of the whole topic.