From:
Sheila Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 21:50:11 +0100
Hi,

I don't yet know enough to comment on this, but I'm reading an American book
just now called Lights Out, by Wiley and Formby, published by Pocket Books.
I've only just started it, so can't go into details, but it seems to blame a
lot of modern illness on the electric light bulb, on the grounds that,
because we have artificially lengthened daylight, our bodies think that it
is summer, and therefore this is the time to stock up on carbohydrates
because they are plentiful now, but the winter is coming and food will be
scarce. So we crave carbohydrates, particularly sugary ones, which
unfortunately are inexpensive and easily available, but - even more
unfortunately - winter never comes because the lights stay on, therefore we
continue to overeat carbohydrates until we have diseases like obesity,
diabetes, cancer and heart problems.

They do seem to recommend a paleo way of eating, but, as I say, I've only
just started the book. I think it was someone on this list who first
mentioned it (Jo perhaps?), so other people probably know more than me.

Regards to all,

Sheila

\ o /   Sheila Graham
/__\   Mezzo-Soprano, Edinburgh, Scotland

www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk

'She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything' (Bellini)