From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 11:48:32 -0500
On Wed, 8 May 2002 10:45:16 -0500, Paleogal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Conversely, a high carbohydrate meal in the evening tends to
>increase serotonin utilization levels.
>
>But of course....  Foods higher in carbohydrates(read tryptophan) will put
>one to sleep.  This is why students are falling asleep in classrooms.  High
>carb diets.   Look at any school menu.  It would choke a cavemate to sleep.
>Cheers, Oliva

The above (high carb) would be required only if one whishes high tryptophan
availability with *low* tryptophan food.

People tend to fall asleep after lunch or dinner for some reasons.
I'd suspect:
- hypoglycemie it if was insulin peaking food
- allergic reactions (the slight ones)
- All the blood beeing busy digesting in the guts, for "heavy" food items
- *cooked* food produces a kind of inflammatory reaction in the blood

But that's not what I'd expect from a high tryptophan food. :-)

regards,

Amadeus