CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jonathan Julius Dobkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:45:47 -0800
To argue about the issues is only useful when everyone is doing so in
good faith. An argument is not the same as an apologia, which is what
this particular person always comes up with. Like a politician, he has
no genuine interest in getting at the truth, only in concocting a
plausible sounding justification for the current unjustifiable power
structure.

Many of the most productive discussions I've had have been with those
who strongly disagree with me, and I've spent most of the last 2 years
actually reading, sometimes even responding to, Simmons' distorted
presentation of the world, unwilling to simply write off someone's
views just because they virulently disagree with mine. But in all that
time he has not said one thing worth reading.

Finally, since it is abundently clear he is not arguing in a good faith
to work out right from wrong, I recently began simply deleting his
messages, unread. He contributes nothing, and if we ignore him he'll
probably go away.