C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:46:19 -0400
Must be a generational thing.  I don't mind "handicapped," and I certainly
don't mind "disabled."  I happen to think saying "persons with disabilities"
is a mouthful. "Crippled" bothers me though, as it reminds me of Tiny Tim in
Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" whom I find nauseating.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found that disabled people my age aren't as
bothered by "handicapped" or "disabled" as younger ones are.  I also happen
to think the practice of using political correctness to rename things
irritating. especially when it renders the terminology rather  verbose and
inefficient.

Kat