C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:01:23 -0500
Kyle

I'm lucky that my boys are so close. Really best friends! I thought that having them in separate schools might be a problem but the opposite has happened. They are so glad to see each other at the end of the day and HATE to be separated on the weekends. The "twin" bond is pretty strong, though they are not identical. I have a great picture of the boys watching TV. Ant is in his Pony and Bobby is standing next to him with his arm draped over Ant's shoulders. :-)

Actually Bobby is a very gentle soul. He is protective of Anthony but Anthony is the one to "beat up" on his brother. Bobby has always gone to Anthony to play or cuddle. Just seemed to know Ant couldn't come to him. But Ant takes advantage - he has bitten Bobby, pulled his hair, scratched him. All normal toddler, sibling stuff - but Bobby doesn't run away! Strangest thing. He just sits there and takes it - calling to us to come and break it up. Ant has even managed to pin Bobby in a corner or two with his Pony walker. Not a mean feat when you consider how slow he is and the problems he has with the finer points of maneuverability, lol!

The other day, Bobby wandered away from my husband in the grocery store. He didn't get far but got a big time out and lecture on the perils of getting lost. Not wanting Ant to think we weren't concerned about HIM getting lost, he got a bit of a lecture, too. Bobby turned to me and said "But he can't get lost, Mommy. His legs don't work!" First time he has stuck up for his brother like that with us. :-)

Yvonne

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/05/02 02:16PM >>>
My parents tell me that I used to "manage" my CP involvement to fit the
situation.  I think I was a couple years old, but I would get "magically"
worse if my grandparents were around. Never underestimate your kids???  Darn
right!  They're a lot more devious than we credit them!  When my dad is in
town and the family goes to the zoo, park, etc., you'd be amazed at how
quickly he can tire.  He gets so tired that if Grandpa doesn't carry him,
he's just gonna flop down and die from exhaustion on the spot.  Plays the
old man like a fiddle, he does.  Shameless kids!  Sounds like Anthony knows
the game pretty well!  At four he's the perfect age for that.  Is Bobby
pretty protective of Anthony, or do they fight like cats n' dogs?

-Kyle