BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"The mouth is the most dangerous part of the person." --NYC Cab Driver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:46:57 EST
He told me that they actually grind the ashes so if any of the larger bones that usually do not reduce down are pulverized.

The above is consistent with my recollection of Throwing Fred Overboard last year.  After having seen Mountbatten buried at sea, my friend Fred decided that that was for him, too, when the time came. The time came, and I flew out to LA for the...whatever it was.

I picked up a big Danish cookie tin from where his wife had put it on what had been Fred's side of their bed, put it in the backseat of my mother's car (next to the widow), strapped a seat belt onto it, and drove out to Marina Del Rey.  The boat came, we motored out into the fog beyond the 3 mile limit and stopped.   The Rabbi opened the tin, then opened the tupperware-like container provided by the mortuary.  The actual cremains (volume was about 1/2 gallon) were in a plastic bag sealed with a cable tie, and I had to cut the top of the bag open with my Swish Army knife.

The Rabbi said whatever he said, and emptied the plastic bag into the water. The morning fog surrounding us on the boat seemd to stay a few yards away, so it looked as if we were in a little patch of clear sky. For a few moments Fred was a cloud in the water, and then the cloud was gone.

Sign me,

Put Me In a Box