AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Senge, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:35:00 -0800
Hello Donna,

This is a relatively common accommodation we provide to students with
print disabilities at Cal State Fullerton.  If these materials aren't
already available in a digital  repurposeable format, you are most
likely going to have to scan them and run optical character recognition
on them.  Be aware, you will need to use a optical character recognition
program that supports German.  Depending on how they are going to be
read (what type of access technology is going to be used by the
student), there will most likely need to be some compatibility
adjustments made to the adaptive technology to make it work right with
German.  Good luck with this.  It all sounds very doable with the right
technology and someone who knows how to edit the recognized digital text
before passing it on to the student.

Jeff

Jeffrey C. Senge
Coordinator, Information & Computer Access Program
California State University, Fullerton
714.278.7253