EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ian Francis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:51:33 +0100
I agree - the text has to be in there for this to work. A good
example of this is the college I used to work at, who scanned all
their past exam papers onto disk and converted the resulting
images to PDF to make them available via the web, without running
them through an OCR. Unfortunately, they told me they just didn't
have the time to check them for accuracy - and being exam papers
they had to be accurate!

Has anyone tried using the Kurzweil 3000 package to scan a PDF
as a webpage and obtain the text? I am working on a package at
the moment to convert PDF to TIFF format files (TIFF is a graphics
file format) and then OCR this. Most OCR packages accept TIFF
files as input. A round-about way of doing this could be to use the
package GHOSTSCRIPT to convert the PDF to TIFF then use your
favourite OCR package to convert this. But, this really gets those
people making PDFs without also producing an accessible HTML
or text version at the same time off the hook, I fear.

Ian Francis