EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:45:12 -0400
> The trouble is that almost every keyboard manufacturers states that their
keyboards are ergonomic.

That is the tip-off!

There is not a lot of choice these days when it comes to so-called ergonomic
keyboards. I say "so-called" because there is actually no such thing as an
ergonomic keyboard. No keyboard is "ergonomic" unless it is set up correctly
and used properly. My rule of thumb when choosing products is to be wary
when the word ergonomic is used to describe it. Ergonomics is a science and
a discipline; it is not an adjective or a marketing ploy.

A keyboard must be considered as part of the entire work environment,
including desk, keyboard tray, chair, and more. It is not realistic to think
that a new keyboard will cure tendinitis or other computer induced
repetitive strain injury. A more systematic approach is needed to preventing
and accommodating computer injuries. Also key is to cultivate good work
habits when using a computer. In many cases, it is better to use a standard
keyboard in a healthy way rather than a fancy keyboard in injurious ways.

That said, let me offer a few words about a few of the so-called "ergonomic"
keyboards that are available.

I have spent a lot of time working with Kinesis keyboards, and have come to
the conclusion that it is great for some people, and not appropriate for
others. It is not suitable for someone who has thumb injuries become some of
the load of typing is transferred from the fingers to the thumbs. Neither is
it ideal for people who try to avoid the mouse, as the Kinesis was designed
for efficient typing, not for pressing key combinations like Shift + Ctrl +
left arrow (select a word backward). I think the Kinesis works best for
people who are already good typists, and who make extensive use of a mouse.

The Pace is an adjustable split keyboard with the same footprint as a
traditional keyboard. It's also my personal favourite. Some people have told
me they find the keys stiff, but this has not been an issue for me. The Pace
does not a Windows or application key, but macro workarounds are possible.
It's an all around good choice for many people, but hard to find. It is made
by the Pace Development Company, who sell it directly to the public.

There are other keyboards to consider, as well. Kinesis recently introduced
their "Freestyle" keyboard in three models. The Comfort Keyboard is the most
adjustable keyboard that I have ever seen. There are tented, split keyboards
from Microsoft, Logitech, Belkin, etc. that are so wide that there is no
good place for a mouse. These make good choices for screen reader users (and
anyone else who do not have to worry about mouse placement): they are easy
to find and not too expensive. The key layouts for some are a bit odd, but
people do get used to them.

If you buy any of these keyboards, make sure you can return it if it does
not work out. When I first got into the assistive technology field, I began
using a pricey "ergonomic" keyboard that I was sure would be the ticket to
pain-free computing. After a few weeks, I concluded that it caused more
problems than it solved, and I got rid of it.

Alan

Hi all,

I am currently looking at buying and ergonomic keyboard for myself.  The
reason I'm doing this is because I have mild tendinitis.  Even though I am
using speech recognition technology, I still find myself doing some amount
of typing.

My current keyboard is not all that uncomfortable but then I am always
trying to further optimise my setup.  In the first place, will and ergonomic
keyboard help?  Or, am I trying to create a solution to a problem that does
not exist?  My current keyboard is a Logitech Dinovo keyboard.

Presuming the answer is yes to the above question, then what kind of
ergonomic keyboard should I buy?  One possible kind of keyboard I found is
at http://www.ngtvoice.com/products/hardware/kinesis/.

The trouble is that almost every keyboard manufacturers states that their
keyboards are ergonomic.

Notes:
I live outside the United States and do not have access to a qualified
occupational therapist.  I am doing whatever I can on my own.

Pranav