EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:25:14 -0800
Any web developer who insists on something that is such a clear and obvious
violation of WAI guidelines should be sent to Siberia immediately.  There
are many instances where web guidelines pose a dilemma for web
developers.  This is not such a case.  Making links self-evident is one of
the most critical access requirements.  There IS NO SUBSTITUTE!!!

Hope I made myself clear.

John

At 11:27 AM 2/27/2003 -0500, Alan Cantor wrote:
>Hello EASI Colleagues,
>
>What is the story on the HTML title attribute? How well is it supported? I
>know title is not a panacea, but it does seem to have potential for
>improving access to many previously inaccessible elements.
>
>This question stems from a message I just received from a web master who
>is dealing with content providers who insist that she use "click here" for
>a mailto link. She is trying to work around this by using the title
>attribute for the link. She writes:
>
>To me [click here] presents a problem. The link is not clear labeled; it
>has no definite destination. In addition it is contrary to Guideline 13.
>Provide clear navigation mechanisms,
>
>checkpoint 13.1 Clearly identify the target of each link. [Priority 2]
>
>Link text should be meaningful enough to make sense when read out of
>context-either on its own or as part of a sequence of links. Link text
>should also be terse.
>
>For example, in HTML, write "Information about version 4.3" instead of
>"click here". In additional to clear link text, content developers may
>further clarify the target of a link with an informative link title (e.g.,
>in HTML, the "title" attribute).
>
>I tested the title attribute on a <<click here>> text link with the trial
>version of JAWS. It does not read the title on this text link.
>
>If I [use the mouse to] put the focus in the table cell or near the link
>where the link is using the title attribute, JAWS will read the title.
>
>Regardless of focus JAWS does read the title attribute around a graphic.
>
>What are your thoughts around the title attribute and how does it work for
>users?
>

>Alan Cantor
>Project Manager
>Strategic e-Government Implementation
>e-Government, OCCS
>416-212-1152

John Gardner
Professor and Director, Science Access Project
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-6507
tel: (541) 737 3278