EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ross Eadie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:12:14 -0600
Hi Jim,

Shocking is the most descriptive word to use given the changing of
discipline.  Here is what I wrote to her.  I sent a second message with
EASI's web site address.

Hello Grace,

Your request for answers related to math and statistics was posted on the
EASI list server by Katherine Schneider.  Your questions have answers, but
I would point out there is no reason for this student to change her
discipline.  There is a way to get around perceived barriers, but a person
must be supported in standing their ground.  Otherwise, this student or any
other will find it to easy to quit in any life endeavor.

My field of study was business with a major in accounting/finance.  We were
expected to pass three statistics classes throughout the course.  My first
subjects in mathematics such as financial math were completed without the
benefit of a computer.  A simple calculator with voice output was used in
my basic algebra class.  Just prior to finding the talking calculator, I
found a way to multiply and divide polynomials in my head with the
assistance of a tape recorder  for recording parts of the calculation for
reference in next steps.  With this general information in mind, here are
the answers to your questions from my perspective.

1. How much can their life be improved if blind people have skills in math
or statistics? (I am teaching Statistics, so more likely I'll be able to
focus on this subject matter)

People who are blind, vision impaired and Deaf/blind can benefit from the
knowledge of mathematics and statistics in the same manner as the general
population.  As statistics can be essential in many, many industries like
social health, banking and insurance, a person wseeking employment in these
industries needs to have a sound base in mathematics and statistics.
Almost missed one other important benefit:  "the higher the education, the
higher the quality of life".  I have heard this concept mentioned in
several social/government reports.

2. How important it is for blind people to have skills in math or statistics
especially in their career search?

While many of us in class thought we would not need statistics in the
work_a_day_world, in my first position as a financial manager at a not for
profit, social service agency, I used several statistical calculations in
assisting my social worker colleagues.  We were preparing a study into self
managed care for persons who received health care services in their homes.
Let me see.  There are how many jobs that require statistics:  economists,
psychiatrists, actuarialists, market researchers, health researchers,
doctors, and on and on ...

3. As you know is there any technology or computer system which can be
helpful for blind people in learning math or statistics?  Could you tell me
the manufactory's name?

There is a long list of technology that can assist someone who is blind,
vision impaired and Deaf/blind to achieve their academic and career goals
starting with just a normal computer with voice output software installed.
GW Micro sells Window Eyes voice output wich I use as I am totally blind.
Their web site is as follows:

www.gwmicro.com

You should be able to source out a vendor in your community through your
institutions disability resource department or staff.  There are hardware
and software talking calculators that will do statistical calculations.  I
used a modified HP12C financial calculator that allowed me to solve many
different statistical problems.  Currently I have used the software
calculator sold with Windows to do scientific type stats calculations.  I
also use my Excel statistical formulas quite extensively in my profession.
If you do a search on the web for adaptive equipment software and hardware,
you will find a vast number of tools.

Graphs pose a unique problem.  There is equipment that will create tactile
versions of graphs, but if you end up with complex graphs such as the
profit maximization graph used in economics, it can be very difficult to
follow the lines.  A bell curve can be easily identified tactually.  I used
a reader at times to assist me with graphs.  Regression analysis was one
area I used a reader, even though the graph could be understood tactually.
The technology out there did not exist when I attended college.  I will
defer to others on the EASI list to assist you in identifying solutions to
graphing beyond a reader.

4. Following the above question, is there any softward similar to
Statistical Package for Social Science (SPSS) or SAS for blind people to
work on data analysis?  Manufactory's name?

Both software packages you have mentioned work with the voice output
software I mentioned in the previous question.  In fact, I have a copy of
SAS, and I am able to run it with the voice output.  Problem is that I have
not enough time to understand all the functions in the software.  I would
imagine anyone requiring the use of this software in the class or workplace
would be able to use it all.  In business, Excell is fine, but I would
imagine in doing very large studies, SAS would be the solution.  All these
software packages will print the graphs for the person.
I hope you find this message helpful.  Please, just remember there is a way
around all most every problem.  If you as a teacher can instill confidence
in the person's ability, you will be providing the most helpful tool.

Ooops, I forgot to mention your presentations in class.  Out of the three
statistics classes I took, I found only one very challenging.  It was not
the first nor the last (most complex in content).  My difficulty in the
second class was an instructor who would not even try to describe
information put on the board.  He would constantly refer to this number
multiplied by this number.  When I asked for clarification, he would
demonstrate his distaste to rehash the last formula.  I approached him
outside the classroom one day, and he told me in no uncertain terms that he
would not be trying to accomodate me.  I then explained thhat he should not
fail me because I was not going to attend his class anymore and learn from
the book on my own.  This solution to a difficult problem was not the best
as I could have found it somewhat easier with a teachers help, but I di pass.

Now, this guy demonstrated a worse case scenario.  Just by describing what
the number was on the board would have solved the problem.  So please try
to be as descriptive as possible.  Maybe the guy did not understand
statistics enough to explain what the number was because he only new the
formula not the underlying reasoning behind the number.
---
Ross Eadie
Voice:  (204) 339-5287