EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Vikki A. Stefans" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:19:27 -0600
I vote with David- this ftp command works almost like the UNIX one and it
is pretty straightforward, and *really* fast.  There are a few potential
gotchas:

1. Some people's software setup will open a web browser if you just type
ftp and the hostname in the run box.  Making a shortcut to ftp.exe, which
is usually in the C:\windows\command or C:\winnt\system32 directory may
help.  Or you could use find or browse for it everytime, but I am too
impatient for that myself.

2. It is easy to forget to type "binary" once you are connected (but if
you do, just re-run it, it will over-write the bad files)

3. It does not do wildcards unless you use mget or mput instead of get or
put.

A typical downloading session is- ftp [host] (or ftp, then open [host])
login and password, binary, ls, mget [filespec], bye.

There is a URL syntax for ftp requiring password but I'll be darned if can
remember it.  This is way easier.

Vikki Stefans, pediatric physiatrist (rehab doc for kids), e-mail junkie,
working Mom of Sarah T. and Michael C., and wife of Henry "My Travel Agent",
Arkansas Children's Hospital/ U of A for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, aka
[log in to unmask] ...and EVERY mom is a working mom! (OK, dads too.)