From:
Jack & Felice Cohen-Joppa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:04:30 -0700

A few weeks ago, I posted my question about my possibly decreased
tolerance for alcohol after going GF.

Sorry for the summary delay - I wasn't on a bender, just busy with
the season.  ;-)

28 replies came back.

18 reported a similar experience to mine, possibly or certainly being
more sensitive, some to the point of avoidance of all alcohol now.

Of the 18...

4 wondered if their increased sensitivity had to do with increasing
age (40+), as well.

1 reported finding she had immune reaction to yeast and thinks that
may have contributed to the impact wine had on her, post-GF.
1 replied that she thought increased sensitivity was the case, but
after a couple of years realized that other food intolerances were at
fault, so she now can enjoy a glass or two with dinner.

2 reported possible connection to liver issues - one of which I'll quote:

>>Something similar happened to me. But it wasn't from going GF - just
>>the opposite. A fairly common symptom of eating gluten for celiacs is
>>a certain, reversible, liver impairment. I had gone off the diet for
>>several years, believing myself to be incorrectly diagnosed. Took a
>>blood test one day and freaked the docs out from the liver results
>>(this is a liver enzyme test which is routinely given on screening
>>blood tests). They sent me to to a gastroenterologist who said oh,
>>that's just cause you're off your diet. I asked him if that could make
>>me get drunk easier and he said yes.
>>
>>So I went back on the diet and the liver enzymes went back to
>>normal within a month or two and I no longer got drunk on two or
>>three drinks. I should also point out that this just occurred after
>>some years off the diet - not right away.

Another wrote to report that

>>CSA/USA will recommend staying clear from all alcohol for at least one
>>year after your diagnosis.  The reason is that gluten is water and
>>alcohol soluble, meaning that gluten becomes activated when mixed with
>>either of those two.  ... alcohol and gluten will give you a much
>>bigger bang that what you are used to.  Even after 6 months of being
>>on the diet you may still have some residual gluten in your system.
>>Unless you are sure that you have the diet down pat, stay away from alcohol.

Among the other replies, 3 reported the increased sensitivity began
before diagnosis & GF diet, one wondering if their sensitivity was due
to anemia before diagnosis, and the other two noting that they can drink
moderately w/o problem now, where they could not before.

2 reported no difference.

1 commented that with her, caffeine sensitivity shot up when she went
GF.  [Not for me - I still enjoy 2-3 big strong cups of coffee /day
w/ no correlated distress]

A few said they appreciated knowing that alcoholism would never be an
issue since they couldn't handle much even if they wanted!

Thanks to all!

Jack in Tucson