From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:18:59 +0000
>Thanks, Richard.  It's nice to have someone to talk to about this
>stuff.  When I was on Atkins, my family wasn't very supportive.
>
>I was also wondering about maple syrup, though.  I know honey is considered
>paleo, but I haven't heard anything about pure, unprocessed maple
>syrup.  It sounds paleo to me.  I was thinking about trying to wean myself
>off sugar gradually, by substituting healthier sugars like honey, maple
>syrup, fruits and fruit juices.  I know I probably won't lose as much
>weight right away, but it's got to be better than all the crap I'm putting
>in my body right now.
>
>-Wendy

What is Paleo sometimes depends on how often a Paleo person would have
encountered it. Of course, honey was around, and maple syrup, too, in some
places. But getting it, finding it, and possibly gorging on it, was a
seasonal or occasional thing. What makes our present post-agricultural
diets so hazardous is that we can have everything all the time. Our
metabolism was not designed for a continuous onslaught of simple carbs and
heavily starchy grains, and our natural reactions to them are just what is
causing widespread poor health, obesity, cravings, etc.

The nifty part about Paleo is that once you start satisfying your appetite
with nutritious veggies and fruits, and plenty of meat with a liberal
amount of good fats, your sugar cravings will disappear. You may have
psychological cravings for comfort foods, and you can choose how to handle
those within the concept of the diet: cheat a little, substitute, or just
ignore them. Unfortunately, sugar is sugar, and whatever acts like sugar is
going to perpetuate your cravings at this stage of things, so I'd advise
taking it easy with concentrated sweets. You'll find your tastes will
change rather soon, and what failed to taste sweet before will become
satisfying.

In answer to one of your other questions, extra virgin olive oil is one of
the best fats you can use, for a number of reasons that you will hear
mentioned here or in books. Some of us use it just about every meal, I
believe, while others also indulge in a bit of butter, if they are not
overly sensitive to the dairy proteins in it.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!