From:
Lynda Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:32:50 -0700
As you know, estriol is not the most widely prescribed
HRT regimen in the U.S. Doctors aren't pushing estriol
prescriptions at their aging female patients as they
are the standard estrogen/progesterone HRT, which is
what the study was about.  There are millions of women
taking the standard HRT in the belief they're getting
additional benefits of protection from heart disease,
Alzheimers, and depression when there is mounting
evidence to the contrary.  Whether or not other
regimens, such as estriol, estradiol, tri-est are
worth considering is a personal choice.

I think this subject does relate to paleo in that
women who have adopted the paleo way of eating have
done so to improve their health -- sometimes for
specific conditions, others for overall well-being --
because we have the same nutritional needs as our
earliest ancestors.  In terms of human evolution, HRT
is still in its infancy, but the pharmaceutical
industry is making billions of dollars by attempting
to persuade the largest group of aging females in
human history -- Baby Boomers -- that
estrogen/progesterone HRT is the fountain of youth.
To me, this is the same type of "scheme" as
cholesterol drugs being touted as the standard of
treatment for high cholesterol, and the food pyramid
being pedaled as ideal nutrition.

Just as women need to make smart choices about their
nutrition, so must they educate themselves beyond the
advertising pamphlet from their doctor about HRT.  I
hope studies such as the one I mentioned in my
original post will prompt women to think again about
what may or may not be the truth about HRT.

Lynda Bryson

http://games.yahoo.com/