From:
Marishka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:37:24 -0500
KATHRYN P ROSENTHAL wrote:

> Hi, Dori.  I saw in the news that Dr. Atkins has a new book out describing
> his "new" diet plan.
>
> Has anyone seen the book?  I'm just wondering if Atkins has added more
> fruit/veg to his diet and how it differs from the old diet plan.
>
> Kath

Yes, I have that book and it actually contains a lot of interesting
information that isn't in the older versions.  It is more liberal from the
very start (induction) now, as you can now eat 3 cups of salad or 2 cups of
salad plus one cup of other vegetables while on induction.  As you progress in
your weight loss he suggests following the "carbohydrate ladder."

Carbohydrate Ladder
1. More salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list.
2. Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheeses)
3. Seeds and nuts
4. Berries
5. Wine and other spirits low in carbs
6. Legumes
7. Fruits other than berries and melons
8. Starchy vegetables
9. Whole grains

It is a good plan for people who balk at eliminating all non-paleo foods from
their diet.  But if one has any food sensititivies whatsoever or an immune
disorder it would be far better to go strictly paleo.  I've lost 34.5 pounds
(from 156 pounds to 121.5 pounds) on the paleo diet and got a bonus prize of
good health as well.  I feel like a million bucks on paleo while I never felt
really well on Atkins and could never stick with that program for very long.

L'shalom,

Marishka