C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 12:40:44 -0500
Oh I see.  I live in Winston-Salem, NC, a medium-sized city of 135,000
people.  We have a fairly good public transit system but the buses don't
stop at every corner, and you'd have to make sure you live in a place that
is close to a bus stop.  Most folks drive here, as I do.

We have three colleges/universities here - Wake Forest U., Winston-Salem
State U, and Salem College, a four-year college.  We also have two medical
centres - Wake Forest U Medical Centre (includes the Bowman Gray Med.
School) and Forsyth Medical centre, so there is a market for counsellors,
but I don't know if they're hiring.  I do know the local public mental
health centre is not hiring  as their budget is constantly being squeezed
every year.

Generally speaking, the economy has taken a couple of hits this past year -
Wachovia Trust & Bank merged with First Union National Bank and the
headquarters are moving to Charlotte, taking hundreds of jobs down there.  I
work for Sara Lee Hosiery, a division of Sara Lee Corp, and we've just laid
off 60 workers here in headquarters in WS and 360 in our plant in Jamaica.
The textile industry has been taking a lot of hits these past 10 years.
However, we have other industries here and so it won't be really bad and
we'll recover.

Hope this is what you're looking for.  I love it here but I've lived in a
lot of other places and would probably be as happy elsewhere as long as I
had my car and computer! LOL  I'd love to be able to move to London or
Dublin myself.

Kat