From:
Theola Walden Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:36:41 -0500
From: "Madeline Mason"
> these deficiencies are extremely rare in
> the United States and Canada.*

I spent I don't know how much time navigating the report (long, isn't it?)
and still never found some of the parts of it reported in the media.  Did
you ever find from what data they made the above conclusion?

> *Because saturated fat and cholesterol provide no known beneficial role in
> preventing chronic diseases, they are not required at any level in the
diet,

I stumbled over this, too.  Though I have to admit I worry some about the
sat fat issue and how much is enough or maybe too much.  There's so much
conflicting data on this.

One conclusion they drew that I did like and agree with is that a low-fat
diet coupled with a high-carb intake *lowers* HDL levels.  My all-time low
HDL was 29 (that's right) when I was eating just such way.

Theola