From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 13:12:04 -1000

> if we accept Ray's theories about the relationship to fire and what
> should be eaten by humans, doesn't cooking a food to which we have a
> negative reaction just increase the odds that we are introducing the
> personal toxins in small doses?

The poison is the dose.  We encounter irritants in small doses and minor
allergens, and small amounts of toxins every single day of our lives and
will for as long as we live.  If reducing the amount of (personal or
universal) toxins makes a desireable food possible, good.  If we gain
the ability to handle that food in the future, we may even be able to
eat it raw again.  I suspect that human kind exists as we are today
specifically because we figured out how to neutralize toxins in food by
cooking and processing.

Perhaps this isn't paleo thinking.  But I'm much less worried about
fermented dairy, for example, than raw dairy.

> My experience has been that what may appear to be a "neutralization"
> effect, or even, if wishful thinking, an "immunization" effect in the
> short run, is actually a long term way of creating chronic (rather than
> acute and immediate) negative health symptoms.

Are you saying that cooking food with toxins to destroy those toxins
will, for example, make us more sensitive to those same toxins in the
future?  Or do I misunderstand you?

Erik