From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 21:43:49 -0400
On Sun, 19 May 2002, Secola/Nieft wrote:

> Yet, Loren says that the fat from grass-fed ruminants should be trimmed as
> well. And essentially be substituted with plant fat. It just doesn't make
> sense to me. What am I missing?

Perhaps that extra step is unnecessary; I don't know.  If
Cordain's claims about the fat composition of grass-fed ruminants
are accurate, I don't see why we should trim it off, except
possible to reduce calories for weight-loss purposes.  If we want
an example of the sort of fat-storing megafauna that Ray is
talking about, we could consider buffalo.  Buffalo meat is quite
lean, but the carcass of the animal contains some fairly large
fat deposits.  But my understanding is that the composition of
these fat deposits is *not* similar to the intramuscular fat of
commercial meats.  The ratio of stearic acid is higher, for one
thing, and stearic acid appears not to contribute to IR, for some
reason.

The thing to think about here is that not only is not all fat
equal, but all animal fat is not equal either.

Todd Moody