Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 12:31:14 -0700
But in southern Arizona, where I live, these wild
greens are few and far between.  Right now even the
cactus are drying up!

--- Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Jim Walsh <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
> > And there's the crunch. I can't help wondering if
> *any* of what is
> > available to me today was available to man say,
> 50,000 years ago. More
> > to the point, is *any* of what was available to
> him, available to me?
>
> Common garden weeds are the best source of vegetable
> nutrition.
>

> chick weed
> lamb's quarters
> purslane
> nettles
> plantain
> shepherd's purse
> dandelion
> amaranth (pig weed)
>
> are all edible and they all appear on their own in
> my yard.  The first
> four are really tasty, the rest a bit harder to eat,
> I have found.
>

> Some of these plants are introduced species to North
> America, but all
> appear on their own without cultivation.
>

> also cat tails and salsify (goat's beard) are said
> to be very good,
> though I haven't tried them.
>

> > Just what can I buy in my supermarket (or grow)
> that is original "old
> > world" food that was available to paleolithic
> humans?
>
> I think you're right, virtually nothing.
>

> Jana

=====
Rachel Aschmann
http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/Garden/4786/
- They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -
 - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com