Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 19:33:48 -0500
>This taken from Dr. Stephen Byrnes'  Newsletter:
>
>4. Guest Book Review by Sally Fallon, MA.
>
>Speaking of Sally, here is a stinging review of Loren Cordain's latest
>foray into
>Paleolithic eating. Please feel free to forward this review to friends who
>may be
>following Dr. Cordain's questionable dietary advice.

This review really does not mean too much.

To begin with, the criticisms do not fairly attempt to distinguish between
Cordain's three progressive levels of discipline in the book for degree of
adherence to strict Paleo eating, in an attempt to pave a path to Paleo for
those of lesser commitment.

More generally, Enig and Fallon engage in hand-waving about "primitive"
peoples/behavior without defining what time frame qualifies as "primitive."
Anybody who saw Enig and Fallon's debates with Cordain on the Paleodiet
list a few years ago knows how skewed are their definitions of what is
truly "primitive" and therefore "Paleolithic" human behavior where
nutrition is concerned. (No more than roughly 15,000 years ago qualified as
"primitive" in their assessments of ancient human cultures, obviously
completely out of touch with actual Paleolithic/evolutionary time scales.)
This is in keeping with the dietary program that Enig and Fallon promote of
emulating the diets of so-called "primitive" or "traditional" peoples, by
which their examples clearly indicate peoples and/or behavior dating to the
Neolithic--that's Neolithic, not Paleolithic--era.

Enig and Fallon were excoriated on the Paleodiet list (by someone else, not
Cordain) for their obvious ignorance of evolutionary timescale, and it was
equally obvious to anyone at least modestly familiar with Paleo research
that they were woefully ignorant of some of the most basic evolutionary
facts regarding Paleolithic nutrition and paleoanthropology. Cordain also
challenged them repeatedly to provide references in support of their
contentions on key points of difference between the two sides, which they
failed to do. In the debate Cordain also specifically addressed the idea
promoted in the review that saturated fats were eaten in large quantity by
primitive man.

Enig and Fallon have a history of misrepresentation and/or ignorance of
facts in their criticisms of Paleo. I'm not able to provide direct links,
but the dates of the debate ranged from between May of 1997 and January of
1998. You can perform a search to get further details at:

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/paleodiet.html

Herb Finkelstein