From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 09:54:58 +0900
Wendy Hubbard wrote:

> I was just wondering.  I have had a problem with this for as long as I can
> remember.  My stomach can feel miserably stuffed and I still "want
> something."  I was hoping that it was just because I wasn't getting enough
> of something in my diet and that going paleo would eliminate that
> problem.  It's got to be cheaper than psychotherapy :o)

I know the feeling! It is usually a feeling that I am missing
something I crave, not a nutrient I think. Caffeine, tobacco, sugar,
who knows what. I have heard that some foods have an opiate effect on
the brain, milk for example, has a chemical designed to make babies
feel happy, I wonder if adults drinking milk don't feel uneasy if they
stop.

Have you ever heard of pica? It is the eating of odd foods in response
to unmet nutritional needs. People eat dirt or soap, cows gnaw fence
posts or discarded batteries. I read about it in my animal nutrition
class in college. Try adding nutrient dense foods like liver, or try
adding animal fats to the diet. Maybe greens?