From:
Marishka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 18:26:36 -0500
Hi Karen and All,

I'm going to use this opportunity of answering Karen's questions to also properly
introduce myself to the list.  My name is Marishka.  I'll be 49 years old in May
and have been married to my husband Scott for 27 years.  We live on seven acres
out in the country outside of Dallas, TX and also have an ocean-front coconut
plantation on the Samana peninsula of the Dominican Republic which is where we
plan to retire.  We have no children but somehow wound up with six pet parrots
who keep me constantly amused and amazed at their intelligence.  I love to dance
(classical Egyptian cabaret and folkloric belly dance) although since we moved to
the country several years ago I no longer perform.

I chose the paleo plan because I was (a) fat and (b) ill.  I started gaining
weight in my mid-forties and failed at every diet I tried.  I was 116 pounds
before I started gaining weight and actually dieted my way up to 156 pounds!

I also had extreme fatigue and joint pain that became so bad that even rolling
over in bed hurt.  It was hard for me to get in and out of cars or to navigate
our stairs.  I had been a dancer up until that time so this was very difficult
for me.  When I got a butterfly rash on my face a nurse friend told me what was
wrong with me--lupus.  I did research on it and didn't find much hope in modern
medicine.

Luckily, I read Ray Audette's book "Neanderthin" and was impressed with his
recovery from diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.  I thought it might work for
me.  And it did!  I began eating a paleo diet in January 2001.  I lost 32 pounds
by May of that year and had no trouble keeping it off.  Then came September 11
and during that whole period of time I stressed out over all that occurred and
all that accompanied that awful event (war, anthrax, bio-terrorism possiblities,
etc.) to the point of turning to "comfort foods."  Every time there was more
speculation on suitcase nukes or smallpox I'd drink another Coke!  I went
completely off the paleo plan until the last week of December.  By then I had
gained back all but 10 pounds and my lupus symptoms had returned, too.

I returned to paleo eating and once again, lost my lupus symptoms and excess
weight.  I am down to 121.5 pounds and am still losing.

I love both "Neanderthin" and "The Paleo Diet."  I also have a number of other
paleo type books, most of which are out of print now.

I eat a diet consisting of red meat, poultry, fish, nuts, seeds, fruits and
berries, raw vegetables juices, and vegetables which I mostly eat raw.  I feel
better when I eat plenty of high water content foods to balance the concentrated
foods in my diet.  I eat gigantic salads, lol!

I usually don't eat animal protein for breakfast.  I start off my day with a
fresh raw veggie juice blend such as carrot/celery/bell pepper/ginger or
carrot/celery/cucumber/spinach/ginger.  Then I eat some fruit and a handful of
raw nuts.

Last year I ate non-paleo once a week with a "cheat meal."  This meal included a
roll, potatoes and a sugary dessert and usually breaded and fried fish, chicken
or beef to boot!  I did lose weight but it was slow and once I reached 124 pounds
I was not able to lose any more weight.

This year I'm not into cheating.  I lost weight much faster and I feel like a
million bucks!  I don't have the desire to eat non-paleo foods anymore.  There
are good paleo alternatives for any foods you are missing.  I would advise anyone
with any kind of health issues to NOT cheat.  It isn't worth it.

I do take vitamins, more out of habit than anything.  I've always taken them but
probably don't need them anymore.

I exercise one hour a day six days a week.  My body is strong and flexible!

Karen, good luck to you on healing your illness.  Our bodies have remarkable
recuperative and restorative powers when we give them the right fuel and
conditions for healing.  May God bless you and keep you strong in mind, body and
spirit on your journey to good health.

L'shalom,

Marishka