From:
Judy Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:44:59 EDT
Hello Rebecca!

Welcome to the list...

While I have not had two "purely Paleo" childbirths, I can tell you that from
my experience, women who eat a whole foods diet in my circle of woman friends
(a large tribe!) tend to have really easy, natural births.

I think the key in terms of ease, is to follow a wide diet, without eating
any modern foods.. My defination of modern foods is probably not as rigid as
many on the list, but I go with what works!!! (Plus, Ray was never pregnant..
LOL)

So, here's what makes beautiful round faced babies with red checks, and moms
who can push them out fast (my second was born in 6 minutes... my first, once
things got going, in 2 pushes..):

Lots of fish for protein
Lots of organic fresh leafy greens
Lots of dandelion greens (prefarably wild) to keep the liver unstagnated
Lots of warm bone broths soups, rich in calcium (fish stocks are equally good)
Lots of yams, roots (carrots, parsnips)  and tubers to relax mom, and give
beta carotene to mom & babe
Lots of good  fats:  avocadoes, fish belly (salmon is my favorite!!), lamb
fat, sesame paste
Lots of sea vegetables (kombu, dulse, nori, hijiki) feed the blood and keep
Mom's iron levels high
Small doses of organ meats (grass fed liver, cooked bloody)
Lots of sardines as snacks ....
Brown rice cooked into a soft porridge if Mom lives in cold climate and wants
something soothing (much better than cold smoothies...)
Miso soup loaded with wakame sea vegetable and some fish

When the mom eats well, the baby's skin is beautiful and "clean"... Look at a
formula fed baby sometime - their skin is bumpy and congested looking...
Also, when Mom is eating naturally, she becomes more beautiful with her
pregnancy, and will have enough milk to feed the entire block.

Jeez, all this talk, and the spring finally hitting makes me want to go plant
some seeds in the garden!!!

Cheers,

Judy Genova