From:
Fawn Bales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:58:55 -0400
>He also is getting his 3rd and 4th tooth so that may be part of the
problem.
>But he seems worse after eating and he does have lots of gas and
>intestinal troubles.  I have only given him meat and veggies, never any
>grain or potatoes.
>Debbie

Have you tried him on fruit yet?  I had mine on the standard
"rice-oats-wheat" progression, but I started my two with fruit.  You
might want to separate fruit feedings from breastfeeding, not sure how
well it goes down with breastmilk.  I also started mine with sweet
potatoes.  Mine loved them, and they are very nutritious, inexpensive
and easy to cook from scratch.

If you do decide to give him grains, stick with rice or oats.  As I
recall, white potatoes aren't recommended until after the first year,
even in the "standard American diet".

If he's having a lot of gas, you might also want to consider what you
are eating.  If you are eating alot of gassy foods or onions and garlic,
it can cause indigestion in babies through the breastmilk.

Teething can cause a lot of aggravation, and finding him something to
chaw on might help too.  I found that keeping a couple of damp wash
cloths to chew on in the freezer helped as well as letting them chew on
my fingers.

Forgive me if I've lost track of this thread - but did you say that he
was 10 months old?  In my experience, 10 month olds really like to eat
and play with food and will indeed get upset if you don't "share" with
them.  As long as he's getting breast milk, too, solids are fine at this
age.  (Okay - NOT so solid - mushes.)  Pretty much any wholesome clean
food that you eat is safe for them to try, as long as its prepared in
textures that are safe and is unseasoned.  It is certainly not too
early.  You can nurse as long as both you and the baby enjoy it and want
to, but babies are ready to start eating foods as soon as they show an
interest.

Fawn