C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:55:18 +0000
On Thursday 07 Mar 2002 6:43 pm, Cleveland, Kyle E. wrote:
> Unfortunately, there wasn't any "bs"-ing.  Everything I said I
> did--I really did.  The problem was my selfish attitude.  I think
> it stemmed from some sort of weird reverse self-pity and the need
> to be the center of attention. I still struggle with it.  My
> self-esteem in high school (like a lot of us) was pretty low,
> especially when it came to girls.  I tried so hard to be anything
> but me, and, to my shame, I succeeded.  I wonder how many disabled
> kids (both genders) kill themselves trying to be "cool" and the
> best at whatever they set out to do?  When I look back, I see my
> family as supportive of the things I wanted to accomplish, but I
> wonder now if they felt like they needed to push me harder than my
> brother.  My parents still think it's neat that I did all this
> stuff, but I'm not sure they ever think about the cost.  Even
> worse, they probably still think a lot of that over-reaching was
> worth it.  Were your parents that way?

Since my years 7-19 were in Special Ed (rather than main stream) I
think I missed the pressures to be accepted at all costs. I have
often wondered how I would be different if I had been main streamed,
I suspect I may not be quite so self assured (many may argue that
would be a good thing!!).

> Brent sounds like he had a similar background.  What's your read,
> Brent? Bobby?  Kat?

Cheers

Deri