C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:44:40 EST
Hello,
I'm writing to register my complaint about a premium blend show where a comic
took on the task of making very crude jokes about a pair of conjoined twins.
It appears that your comic has no idea that these young women had survived
living in an institution. Living in an institution is rotten. You're not
treated as an individual, and your rights are stripped away. Yes, even though
you have committed no crime, you have no rights. Lesser people come out of
these institutiones bitter and angry, and unable to assimilate into our
society. So, my hat is off to these two women who fought to get out of the
institution, they fought to get their civil rights back, and to live as
normal a life as anybody. They have made a good life for themselves -- they
have their own apartment, they've each made friends, and their community has
accepted them as human beings, not as a side show for other people to profit
from! Shame on the guy who could not see beyond his own shallowness. Shame on
him for making money off people less fortunate than him. Shame on comedy
central for allowing such disparaging remarks to air. When will we respect
every human being?  When will we learn to love each other? When will people
start seeing people with disabilities as human beings and not as objects to
be laughed at?

Think about it.

Tamar Raine
634 Oakland Ave.