C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:48:44 -0500
I know, I know, but surely this is a violation of one's basic rights.  Or does one sign away one's rights when becoming a client of such an agency?

Kat

"St. John's University Cerebral Palsy List" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens all too often when gov t or other well meaning agencies get into the mix where people with developmental disabilities are concerned.  Their number one issue is safety even if that means restricting them in ways which most people would find extremely onerous. I know this because I work for one of those well meaning agencies and this sort of thing drives me nuts.  I don't usually put my 2 cents in but this hit my button.
  Kathleen Salkin  wrote: Now, THAT boggles my mind! The government is telling you you can't leave your property???? I realise they want you to be safe, but com'on, you're an adult, for crying out loud!

I am temporarily rendered speechless. Excuse me, guys, whilst I try to recover from a laspe in my ability to express my emotions without using four-letter words.

Kat

"St. John's University Cerebral Palsy List" wrote:
> It is the County that says that I can't be left
alone. I can go for walks alone in my electric
wheelchair on our own property. We have a blind
spot going out and in our driveway.

Kathy Jo

--- Stephen Allman wrote:
> [...]
> that you would try them. Can
> you physically go outside on your own or do you
> need assistance? How much can
> you do for yourself? Are your parents being
> over protective because of your
> disability or do they trust you that you will
> not hurt yourself? If you want
> some kind of independence you must take small
> steps first like walking or
> using your wheelchair to get around your own
> neighborhood. I believe Gary or
> Anthony suggested going to a store and that's a
> great suggestion. You should
> try to talk to your parents and let them know
> what you want for your future.
> If they do not want to listen to you then you
> should talk to someone that
> they respect and that person may give you the
> support you need. It's a great
> feeling when you go to the store for the first
> time and buy what you choose
> to. When doing these kinds of things you build
> up confidence in yourself and
> then you will be talking about your able to do.
>
> All of us want to be as independent as we can
> be. Everyone needs some kind
> of help but for people with physical
> disabilities there are more obstacles
> in the way. Some of us need more assistance
> than others but we can achieve
> our goals by being realistic, working hard and
> accepting our strengths and
> weaknesses. We need to work on our strengths
> and weaknesses so we can
> physically and emotionally become stronger.
>
> What does being independent mean? All of us may
> define independence in
> different ways. Some of us may find ways to
> communicate better, some may find
> ways to get dressed or fed or have our bathroom
> needs met. We can find ways
> to have these basic needs met by doing them
> ourselves or getting assistance.
> There is no shame in getting assistance if it
> is truly needed. Many of us
> want to live in our own place, get a job and
> earn what we get out of life.
> For many of us our disabilities effects us in
> getting jobs and there are many
> instances where the attitudes society has on
> the disabled community hurts our
> chances to live the best lives we can. We
> cannot change everyone's attitudes
> towards the disabled but we can educate as many
> people as we can that have
> open minds
>
> How do we become as independent as we can be?
> We must accept our own
> disabilities. We should always search to
> improve physically, emotionally and
> spiritually. I believe we should never make our
> disabilities an excuse for
> not attempting to improve your life. We are
> human and it's healthy to get
> frustrated at times at what we cannot
> accomplish but we should not dwell on
> that. Many of us with disabilities have more
> time and then we dwell on what
> we cannot do but I try to use my anger to push
> myself more. I also believe
> it's important to help people and keep the mind

=====
My Ya-Hoo ID: kathyjopinkus

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Bill Hyatt
"I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here."