C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 09:46:01 -0500
You know, when I first read that term yesterday, I thought, "You've got to
be kidding."  Then I read some of the articles that came up after doing a
search on Google.  I'm still in a state of disbelief.

I suppose there're medical reasons for this, but I'm left with wondering
what if a kid is simply clumsy?  Does he get slapped with this unnecessary
and potentially-damaging label?  I can just see it now - "Did he fail at
football tryouts?  Let's get him to the doctor, maybe he has "Clumsy Child
Syndrome!" I don't mean to disparage the ones who are actually clumsy due to
a medical condition, but when does something that's a natural part of
growing up become a disability?  And of course there are those children who
actually do have something like CP who could've been helped far sooner if
not diverted with false diagnoses  like these.

Kat