BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
If it ain't a pleasure ... it ain't a poem.
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 06:12:44 +1000
I'm no fan of telemarketing, but this seems like a
manual on blackmailing techniques.  Not to mention the
whole taking advantage of the predisposition of our
society toward litigation.

I'm currently on my 'anti-litigation' push, having
just commenced the joyful experience of my first round
of expert witness work actually reaching court. Talk
about a waste of time and money. Of course, the
challenge is to put my money where my mouth is and
refuse to do the work!

But then, I'll insist on believing that if I get
involved early enough, perhaps I can prevent matters
from going to court?

Cheers

david

PS  University of Sydney is a fine institution, but
don't think a son of New York would cope too well in
the residential colleges!

 --- Met History <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Telephone Consumer Protection Act
>
> The 1991 federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act
> ("TCPA") places numerous
> requirements and restrictions on telemarketers.
> Under the TCPA, consumers can
> combat unwanted phone solicitations and even recover
> money for illegal
> telemarketing practices.   The following
> anti-telemarketing guide was
> compiled by Diana Mey, who has scored numerous
> consumer victories (including
> a recent $10,000 settlement from Discover Card)
> based on violations of the
> TCPA.
>
> Anti-Telemarketing Guide:
>
> 1. Know the Rules.
>
> The TCPA regulates commercial solicitation calls to
> residences and has forth
> a list of regulations telemarketers must follow. It
> is important to note that
> the TCPA does not regulate calls made on behalf of a
> nonprofit organization.
> According to the basic rules of the TCPA, every
> commercial telemarketer must:
>
> Limit calls to the period between 8AM and 9PM in
> your time zone.
>
> Tell you their name and the name, address and phone
> number of the company on
> whose behalf the call is made.
>
> Maintain a detailed Do-Not-Call List and honor (for
> ten years) any request to
> not be called again.
>
> Keep your name on the Do-Not-Call List for at least
> 10 years.
>
> Each violation (there can be several in one phone
> call) can result in a civil
> penalty of $500 payable to you. If a call is made to
> intentionally harass,
> the penalty can be tripled.
>
> 2. Take Notes and Use a Script
>
> When dealing with telemarketers, it is important
> that you ask the right
> questions. So use a script  and keep a journal handy
> to record the details of
> every telemarketing call you receive.  Here's the
> script Junkbusters, a
> consumer advocacy group, recommends for the serious
> anti-telemarketer:
>
> Are you calling to sell something?
>
> What is your phone number, including area code?
>
> What is the name of the company or organization you
> are calling for?
>
> Does that company maintain a Do-Not-Call List?
>
> Please put my number on that list. Can you take care
> of that right now?
>
> Does the company you work for also make
> telemarketing calls for other
> organizations?
>
> If yes, please make sure your company won't call me
> for any other
> organization. Will you do this?
>
> If you just want junk calls to cease, finish at this
> point and close with: Do
> you  understand that I never want telemarketing
> calls again from anyone? Say
> good-bye. If on the other hand you believe the TCPA
> has already been violated
> in this call and you might recover some money...
>
> 3. Get the Facts

> [...]
=== message truncated ===

http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
- A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!