Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
JJ Lennon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:36:19 -0700
The labels on Canned/pouched tuna will indicate that 'something' is in
there in addition to tuna and water, but the actual name of the
substance can be misleading. Sometimes it will say 'hyrdorlized soybean
oil' or 'hydrogenated vegetable oil,' which is enough to know its not
good to eat, but 'vegetable broth' is a vauge term that has no clear
defintition (and apparently the FDA doesn't require it). "Salt" is a
pretty clear cut ingredient that is probably bad since it isn't
natural. Below I pasted some information that I have saved from a web
page regarding MSG additives, but I don't have the url.

HIDDEN NAMES OF MSG -

   These ALWAYS contain MSG:

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
Hydrolyzed Protein: (plant, vegetable, any kind)
Sodium or Calcium Caseinate
Autolyzed Yeast, Yeast Extract
Yeast Food,  Yeast Nutrient
Textured Protein
Glutamic Acid

   These OFTEN contain MSG or create MSG during processing:

NATURAL FLAVORS, flavoring, flavors,
Natural "anything" flavor.
Bouillon or Stock
Broth (chicken, beef, any kind)
Carrageenan
Whey protein, whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate.
Soy sauce, soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate.
Malt Extract or Flavoring, Malted Barley
Maltodextrin
anything Protein fortified

 By FDA definition, all MSG is "naturally occurring".  "Natural"
doesn't mean safe!   Personally, I find that my "tolerance" for MSG is
minimal, and I must avoid almost anything containing the above names,
except for the last 3 items in the "OFTEN contain MSG" list.  You may
get by with just avoiding everything on the first "ALWAYS contains MSG"
list.  However, the "natural flavors" heading can be very misleading
and the source of much pain, because it can contain anywhere from 12%
to 33% MSG -- or no MSG at all.  The only way to truly know whether MSG
is present, and in what amounts, is to write or call the manufacturer.
And, since manufacturers change ingredients frequently, you'd have to
check with them every few months to make sure it was still OK.  It's
often easier just to avoid food with "natural flavors" .
     Soft drinks, so-called Sports Drinks, candy, chewing gum are
potential sources of hidden MSG.  (My daughter landed in the Emergency
Room with a migraine as a result of one piece of bubble gum known as
"Gator Gum".  Ever try to read the Ingredient Label on a piece of gum?)
 One-half can of Coca-Cola is enough to give some migraine sufferers a
full day of misery.  Most iced tea mixes and concentrates contain
MSG....make sure your iced tea is brewed when dining out.
     Reactions to MSG are dose-related, and some people react to even
very small amounts.  MSG-induced reactions may occur soon after
ingestion, or as much as 48 hours later.  The reactions can last from
hours to days, depending on the individual.  However, your individual
reaction will always be the same.  Only the severity of the attack will
increase or decrease, depending on the quantity of MSG consumed.

SOURCE BOOK:  "Excitotoxins:  The Taste That Kills", by Russell L.
Blaylock, M.D., Health Press, Sante Fe, NM

http://games.yahoo.com/