Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Cheyenne Loon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 00:01:43 -0400
> Veal is anemic because all young milk fed animals are anemic, even
> humans. It is part of mother natures wisdom, iron stimulates bacteria
> growth, so naturally low iron milk keeps gut bacterial overgrowth down
> and may even help prevent other kinds of infections. That may be part
> of why formula fed babies get more infections, too much iron.

Interesting!  Public health authorities in northern Quebec recently did
studies of anemia in babies on Cree reserves, and discovered to their shock
that anemia was more common among breastfed babies than formula-fed babies.
They weren't sure what to do with the results, since it suggested that
breastfeeding could be less healthy than formule, and they were already
fighting a losing battle with their 'breast is best' campaign.  They advised
breastfeeding mothers to give iron drops to their babies.  And like you
noted, Tom, they also found that the breastfed babies suffered less
gastroenteritis and other GI infections.  I wish they'd make the connection!
Do you have any references that I could pass along, maybe?
Cheyenne