Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:16:51 +1100
From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
At 11:02 PM +0100 20/12/01, Esben Grønborg Brun wrote:

>How much meat can be produced pr. acre ?   (organic farming)

My family's farm averages about 4 sheep to the acre. The land has lots
of treed areas and some swamps and dams. It's a stud, so the stocking
levels are kept low on purpose. If it was used purely for "lambs to the
slaughter" it could probably run 5 or 6 without any long term damage.

Also, it's not an organic farm, although less chemicals are used than
the norm.

An acre is just on 4000 square metres, so to answer Esben's question,
each person in Denmark could run a herd of 5 sheep on their land and
have some room left for a vegetable garden.

The question then is... can a person survive on the meat from say 3 or
4 sheep per year plus some vegetables. My guess is... yes, but only just.

 ...Richard.