From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 08:30:26 -0700

At 04:31 AM 10/27/01 -0400, Oliver wrote:

>Is Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten free or not? I'm still confused..

I knew that would give problems for some. Yes, corn in is gluten free.
Actually it's not gluten that bothers us; it's just two linked proteins in
the gliadin in the gluten of wheat, rye, barley, semolina, kamut and spelt
that bother us. Corn and rice gluten does not have the gliadin to affect
us. In fact, some think it's a misnomer to call it gluten in anything but
the wheat and linked grains named above. And others think we should not any
longer say we are gluten intolerant, but gliadin intolerant now that we
have isolated the harmful elements. But then we have enough names for our
disease as it is: celiac disease, celiac sprue, non-tropical sprue, gluten
intolerance, gluten enteropathy, etc. That's enough names even for a
Russian nobleman out of one of Tolstoy's books, and I know it confuses some
newbies at this. -vance