EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:59:29 -0400
> Does anyone know how to turn off the feature that will save your voice
> files when you exit from Dragon NaturallySpeaking?

In version 5:

NaturallySpeaking menu.
Advanced.
Options.
Startup/Shutdown tab.
Shutdown container.

> Anyway, the long and short of it is that the students are beginning to
corrupt
> their voice files because they save their text when they exit from the
program,
> and it's saving the incorrect ones because they are not correcting their
words
> properly. (Mainly due to their inability to recognize the correct and
incorrect
> spelling of many words.)

If the voice files are truly in bad shape, I recommend ditching them and
starting from scratch. Preparing a new user does not take long. And even if it
takes time, the students will probably be further ahead now that they have a
sense of how the program works and of proper dictation technique.

Use "getwords.exe" and "putwords.exe" (available from Joel Gould's OLD
"unofficial" site, as opposed to his new unofficial site) to salvage novel
words from the old vocabulary files. If you don't do this, make sure to use
the vocabulary builder. (This is an important step for all new users. Ensure
the files contain text that is typical of the user's speaking style, as
opposed to his or her writing style.)

I have listed some additional hints at:

www.interlog.com/~acantor/csun2001speech-rec-handout.htm

The full text of the paper on which this is based is posted on the CSUN 2001
site.

www.csun.edu/cod

Alan Cantor
Cantor + Associates Inc.