EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"* EASI: Equal Access to Software & Information" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:26:05 -0500
What recommendations do you have for a French text-to-speech program? This is for a Windows platform. I know we can get Dragon Naturally Speaking for French, but that may be a bit more than is required. Also, with already planning to run DNS for English on the computer system, I don't want to overload it.

Bonjour Eileen,

You won't overload the PC if you don't try to run both versions of the software at the same time. NaturallySpeaking takes up a lot of hard drive real estate, but most hard drives today are capacious enough to handle many monster programs.

When using speech recognition software, it is a good idea to double or quadruple the minimum RAM requirements. Consider 256 MB of RAM a minimum.

Please refer to this article on implementing speech recognition that I wrote for CSUN 2001:

http://www.interlog.com/~acantor/csun2001speech-rec-paper.htm

Alan

Alan Cantor
Project Manager