From:
Miki Tracey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:00:58 -0800

Note: had to do this early, i'm on my way out of town.  Thanks all for
responding.

Lead in
I am attempting to be GFCF but missing my cereal.  So i asked about
milks especially for putting on cereals.  I also asked whether goat milk
was casein lactose free.  Both questions were addressed

You all were great.  I went over to the Giant and picked up a thing of
silk and a thing of almond milk and tasted em before putting em in the
fridge. Both seemed reasonably ok.  I almost got the better than milk,
but it was out of my price range this week, maybe when the paycheck
comes in next year.

Soy/Rice/etc Milk

I use Silk Soy milk from the supermarket, Shoprite, it is creamy and thick
and I do not like any brand of rice milk. IT's too thin and watery.

We use DariFree. It is gfcf and soy free. It is potato based. In my
opinion it tastes the closest in texture and sweetness to regular milk.
The flavor is different, but not bad. It works well in cooking and
baking as well.

Rice milk is very sweet and very thin. It is about as thick as water.
Rice milk sweetens everything you put it in. In desserts, it's not
bad. But in scrambled eggs or other non-sweet items, it makes stuff
taste strange (to me anyway). My kids did not like rice milk.
Soy milk is thick like cream and heavy. It also has a very strong
flavor. I tried it before I figured out that my boys react to soy as
well. I did not like how anything I cooked or baked tasted with the soy
milk in it. My kids refused to drink it.

Both of my boys like DariFree.

>Abersold foods and Vance's Foods and Kirkman labs all sell a wonderful
CF/GF product called Darifree. This is terrific for baking AND for
drinking. I also use almond milk (vanilla flavour) in cooking and it's
terrific. YU makes a decent rice drink. Stephi prefers the dark
chocolate flavour (cocoa).

>This one was amusing
>None of them taste close to cow's milk.

Soy milk tastes like soy milk.

Rice milk tastes like rice milk.

>I love cereal too and after realizing the expense of buying soy and
>rice milk which cause me abdominal pain anyway, I discovered almond
>milk which I make myself at home; It's economical and tastes good. I
>also use it as a substitute in all my recipes requiring diary. Here it
>is; By the way, do you have a Costco near you because you can buy
>almonds for about 1.68 a pound but it comes in a 3 lb. bag. Here's the
>recipe:

1/4 cup almonds grinded using a foodprocessor
1 cup water
Optional: 1 tsp. honey or 1/4 tsp. GF vanilla extract
I also have a soy milk recipe if you want it but it's lengthy so I'll
give it too you only if you ask; It requires boiling water and soaking
the beans. Good luck. Laura

>Silk is good, or try goat's milk.....In the meantime, start working on
>leaky gut syndrome....with each meal take one L-gluttamind capsule [an
>amino acid] and one Probiotics Complex....it will take several months,
>but you can heal the gut. On just a gf diet, it can take three to five
>years to heal.

Go over your diet very carefully...you usually do not suddently develop
LI....you might be ingesting gluten w/o being aware....Stay away from
the iffy foods and start keeping a food diary for at least a month, also
noting symptoms and time of occurence of symptoms. It can be very
revealing.

[ED]Of note, i made a choice to go CF to eliminate milk, which is
absorbed in the same area of the gut for a while as i heal up.  And
because of what seemed to be a milk allergy (stuffy head, not gut based,
not completely anyway).  I'm waiting six months and trying milk,
hopefully it won't have been an allergy, but if it is, then i will
really know.  As for diet, i'm to the point of eating nothing that is
not a whole food or marked gluten free/dairy free, so i'm fairly sure
i'm not accidentally ingesting gluten. [/ED]

>I can recommend with confidence Rice Dream, which is both thicker than
>the usual rice or soy milks and comes in wonderful flavors too. Be
>careful if you need to watch calories, because it is more than double
>that of milk.

On the soy front, I like Pacific brand because it comes in a regular and
a light formula and also in flavors. Make sure to shake both of these
items before using. Unlike cow's milk, they are not homogenized and tend
to separate. I like to mix them with protein powder and fruit for a
wonderful light breakfast.

[ED] I was in the supermarket looking at the rice dream.  Every box had
the words barley or brown rice syrup.  Possibly this writer is wheat
free but not gluten free or lives in an area with a different
manufacturing location. [ED]

>You have to read the labels carefully. I now like soy
milk a lot. BUT, rice syrup is made from Barley and is
used to sweeten most soy milks. So, just read the
labels and skip any with rice syrup. There are three
of four in my favorite health food store.

>Pacific soy and rice milks are all GF, but to me they're too rich and
>sweet. My favorite is Better Than Milk. At first it tastes perhaps a
>little thinner than cow's milk, but it just takes a few days to adjust
>to.

[ED] Hoo, that's some expensive stuff. (Better than Milk)  It's probaby
worth it, but i'm not getting a paycheck this period, so i bought the
silk. [/ED]

>Pacific brand Rice milk is gluten free. My opinion-
- the regular is horrible
- the Vanilla is marginally OK
I tried Continental-8 brand soy milk which is gluten free.

I had a reaction of some sort that day and haven't tried to see if it was
the soy milk or not.

This soy milk tasted better than the Pacific brand Vanilla Rice milk (again,
my opinion

>I have used Better than Milk Original powdered soy which is fine.

Hi, my daughter (15 yrs old) really likes the Soy Silk brand the best... I
don't really care for any of the alternate dairy subs but if I am having
cereal there is a soy/rice blend that I will have a little of. I have not
tried any of the nut milks as I am allergic to almonds, etc. as well.

>You might try almond milk. I find it quite good. Sandy

[ED] I did and boy does it!!![/ED]

>I use Blue Diamond Almond Milk "Breeze" The only thing I can tolerate
>on my cereal. I can get it at my supermarket "Raleys"
>
>watch out for Rice Dream, it is NOT GF.

The Goat Milk Question (does goat milk contain lactose/casein)
Yep, it does. -vance

Miki Tracey