From:
Tom Sciacca <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:56:34 -0400

For New England listmates-

Returning from a week's vacation and eating lots of plain steak, plain
fish, plain roast beef, etc., etc., I stopped for dinner at the
Monadnock Mountain View Restaurant in Troy on Rt. 12 (a bit south of
Keene). As usual, before being seated I asked the hostess for a menu to
see if I had a chance of finding something edible. It didn't look good,
because in spite of moderate prices everything looked pretty fancy and
heavily sauced. But just for the hell of it I went into my routine with
the hostess. "I'm a celiac which means I can't eat gluten. Do you know
what that means?"

"Yes", she said. And, it turned out, so did the owner/chef, who was a
real graduate of a culinary school and not just a cook. What a nice way
to cap off a vacation!

I had the Pork Dijonnaise, which was fabulous. It took a few extra
minutes to order because the chef took some time to research all his
ingredients to be certain they were GF. I assured them I did not
begrudge the extra time! My wife loved her glutenous meal as well.

This newly opened restaurant is .3 miles north of the Troy Common.

As I'm posting, I'll also mention that I've had a couple of good
experiences at the Naked Fish, at the Framingham and Billerica, MA
locations. As the name implies you can order the fish absolutely plain.
However, I asked about the sauces (no, they didn't know what gluten was,
but they understood allergy) and they were completely accomodating. In
both cases the sauce I chose was GF and excellent. They were very
careful to clean the grill thoroughly before cooking my meal. I even
found a dessert I could eat! (Some super-rich meringuey/sugary thing
that probably took a year off the life of my arteries, but was
delicious. We're all probably better off not being able to eat most
desserts!)
Tom