RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:38:01 -0500
Gary,

Thanks for the links.

http://www.cast.uark.edu/local/icaes/conferences/wburg/posters/nconklin/conklin.html
-- Some interesting quotes from this one:

"Modern humans do not have high protein or fat requirements, as already
mentioned. The value of 9.5% CP in the chimpanzee diet in our study is
consistent with the prediction by Oftedal (1990) that all primates should
have relatively low protein requirements because they have slow growth rates
compared to other mammals (Case, 1978). Although a need for protein or fat
is often assumed to explain increasing amounts of hunting throughout hominid
evolution, primates do not have metabolic demands for high levels of protein
or fat."

"To summarize: all of our study species consumed a low fat, high fiber diet
compared to humans. The chimpanzees' diet was higher in digestible
carbohydrates when there was an increase in ripe fruit availability. In
addition, the chimpanzees maintained a fairly low and constant protein
intake, due to their focus on fruit, with pith as a fallback food."

http://www.uq.edu.au/~xxjelfic/BaProj.html -- I found it interesting that
wild bananas are said to taste better than cultivated bananas; however, I
didn't see any mention given regarding differences in sugar and fiber
content of wild vs. cultivated.

Wes