RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:15:58 -0800
> Does anyone know what fruits that are commonly available to the consumer
> are closer to wild state with respect to sugar/fiber ratio and other
> relevant parameters?
>
> I would think: some berries, longan, lychees, durian, jakfruit, coconut,
> olives, bananas, papaya, in other words, most tropicals.  Or are tropicals
> just as altered as apples and citrus?

it is not a matter of species of fruits but rather what variety of fruits
closer to the wild or wild that are left , .
berries are still close to the wild for the most part except normal
strawberries and new hybrides.
in India  there is hundreds if not thousand varieties of mangos so selection
of tropical fruits have been intense too.
avocadoes. bananas papayas are also present in many many forms , wild
pineapple  are so different that cultivated ones .
the situation is that many species have disappeared because of lack of
interest for the wild fruits when more easy fruits are available and because
the function of reproducing them  given by creation to humans have stopped
been fulfilled. Here there is many varieties of wild berries because the
natives here were caring for them .
i choose as old varieties of fruits as i can find ( seed saver exchange is a
american network of oples saving old varieties) then grow them without
pampering them ( that is not the same than not caring like the natives did )
so they have a chance to revert to a stronger health ( over generations ).
the natives here were rough when caring for berries , to trigger more
production of huckeberries for ex they were braking the end shoots , they
were caring for them by being predator to them , deers do the same to have
more folliage to eat

the only option left for us is for peoples who care for quality foods ,  to
grow those  old and wild varieties because the commercial trend is  at great
speed now toward the opposite of what we want ( if they could invent fruits
coming in a tube as a paste they will do it ).
jean-claude