RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gary Orlando <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 05:38:16 -0500
> 1. raw meat does not taste like much of anything at all.
> (perhaps the mouth sensation, or feeling of fullness is pleasurable)

>I see that you didn't have much experience with it because i know a lot of
vegan who experience it as very distatefull. they complain about the smell
there is a contradictions here between the 2 experiences ..
either your experience have been with too fresh meat that are not palatable
( don't have that much taste ) to non carnivorous animals , or you have a
zinc deficiency that makes the sense of taste dull .
try some liver and tell me if it doesn't taste something .

I'm uncertain as to what you are saying, j-c.
Are you saying that it better to eat meat that is not fresh?
My sense of taste does not seem dulled, but it's possible...
What I'm referring to is sashimi (tuna, yellow tail), and it is as
fresh as I'm going to find (from an oriental sushi bar),
unless I catch the fish myself.

> 2. this assumption of meat being "perfectly digested", I find not
> true,
> and certainly not supported by any literature that I'm aware of.
> The usual quotes about 98% digestibility of meat, as compared to 80%
> digestibility
> of veggies, or fruit, are absurd, since the difference can be explained
by
> the indigestible fiber.

>makes sens meats have less fibers than vegetables or fruits .
>there is not that much litterature anyway about the digestibility of raw
>meats .

yes, it makes sense,, but it means nothing.
fiber is necessary.

> 3. "Causes no troubles at all", is a generalization, which is not true
> in my case.  My occasional forays into raf (fish), have shown me that
> it is not "perfectly digested", and in addition may cause muscular
tension
> for various reasons.
>how did you get shown that ?
>It fit with the experience of many vegans who loose the ability to secrete
chloridric acid in sufficient quantity to digest meats ( have to do with B
12 insufficiency, intrinsic factor etc...)

there's no way to know my hcl status, but my digestion seems fine as far
as I can tell.  I didn't say I didn't digest it, I would say that
it does not digest as well as fruit.

> That said, I think the continuing arguments here about raf are pointless.
>
> If you want it, eat it.
> But let's not kid ourselves about "digestibility".  I "digested" just
about
> everything when I was a mixed, cooked
> food eater.

>so how come ,you say that meat are not well digested ?

I am merely pointing out that the common statements about meat being
"well-digested" are groundless and may be incorrect.

Gary

                    Ingrid Bauer
                    <[log in to unmask]        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    OM>                           cc:
                    Sent by: Raw Food Diet        Subject:     Re: RAF
                    Support List
                    JOHNS.EDU>

                    01/14/2002 10:55 PM
                    Please respond to Raw