RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:55:19 -0800
> 1. raw meat does not taste like much of anything at all.
> (perhaps the mouth sensation, or feeling of fullness is pleasurable)

I see that you didn't have much experience with it because i know a lot of
vegan who experience it as very distatefull. they complain about the smell
there is a contradictions here between the 2 experiences ..
either your experience have been with too fresh meat that are not palatable
( don't have that much taste ) to non carnivorous animals , or you have a
zinc deficiency that makes the sense of taste dull .
try some liver and tell me if it doesn't taste something .

> 2. this assumption of meat being "perfectly digested", I find not
> true,
> and certainly not supported by any literature that I'm aware of.
> The usual quotes about 98% digestibility of meat, as compared to 80%
> digestibility
> of veggies, or fruit, are absurd, since the difference can be explained by
> the indigestible fiber.

makes sens meats have less fibers than vegetables or fruits .
there is not that much litterature anyway about the digestibility of raw
meats .

> 3. "Causes no troubles at all", is a generalization, which is not true
> in my case.  My occasional forays into raf (fish), have shown me that
> it is not "perfectly digested", and in addition may cause muscular tension
> for various reasons.

how did you get shown that ?
It fit with the experience of many vegans who loose the ability to secrete
chloridric acid in sufficient quantity to digest meats ( have to do with B
12 insufficiency, intrinsic factor etc...)

> That said, I think the continuing arguments here about raf are pointless.
>
> If you want it, eat it.
> But let's not kid ourselves about "digestibility".  I "digested" just
about
> everything when I was a mixed, cooked
> food eater.

so how come ,you say that meat are not well digested ?

jean-claude