RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:30:57 -0800
I assume that you are Stephanie of "Arjen and Stephanie". I
refused in the past Arjen's request for "discussion" (given his
behavior here, "acrimonious debate" might be more accurate) because
some thought and reflection should (at least for most
educated/science-oriented readers) reveal serious flaws and
contradictions in Arjen's claims and his "logic". Indeed, his claims
regarding canine teeth have no basis in the literature - the one
cite he offered does *not* support the claim. I will eventually
write something up on this--it turns out that there are numerous
theories on human canine teeth, and no consensus or belief that it
reflects adaptation to plant foods as Arjen claimed.  (Indeed -
I have at least one published cite claiming it is adaptation to meat-eating,
but given the variety of contradictory theories I think skepticism is
the best attitude.)

And, just as I declined to "discuss" with Arjen, for the very same reasons
I will not engage in a discussion with you. Understand that my time
is limited, and that "discussions" with those who behave like Arjen
does are a waste of time. It is my desire that any major *new*
claims Arjen, you, or the pseudoscience promoters over on the Forum, make
--will eventually be addressed in updates to Beyond Veg site articles.

The fact that I work 40+ hours a week, volunteer for civic activities,
and have a life outside the web, means it will be some time before I
can address the numerous claims. So far, I have seen few criticisms
of Beyond Veg material by legitimate (academic) scientists; on the other
hand the site has been attacked by pseudoscience polemicists (some of
whom claim expertise in science while they have zero training or
job experience in the field).

Note here too that it is *easy* to spin bogus claims (e.g., the canine
tooth assertion based on one citation that does *not* suppport the claim),
but it is a *lot* of work to do an in-depth review of the literature,
and present a well-documented rebuttal.

So Stephanie, your attempt to side-serve Arjen's dubious claims
won't work. I refuse to respond to sound bites with other sound bites.
A well-reasoned and carefully documented reply, based on the published
literature, is what I prefer. That sort of effort takes time, and
will be done on my web site - not an email list.

This is my *only* reply to you on this matter. Anyone else who
tries to waste my time with the dubious arguments of Arjen,
will get the same reply. I will ignore followups to this post-
I have way too much other work to do.

Tom Billings