RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 08:36:02 -0800
List members may find the following article of interest:

Apes were first to get high on drugs
By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
(Filed: 26/12/2001)

See the full article at:

http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2001%2F12%2F26%2Fwaped26.xml

Here's a 1 paragraph quote from the article:

"Prof Michael Huffman of the Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University
and Don Cousins, author of The Magnificent Gorilla, report in a
forthcoming issue of the journal African Study Monographs that apes
may indulge in drugs - from a pick-me-up of the kind found in coffee
to hallucinogens."

I would note that Huffman is well-known for his research in the field
of zoopharmacognosy: use of medicinal herbs by animals. For an
introduction to that field, I recommend his (interesting)
article:

Huffman MH (1997)
"Current evidence for self-medication in primates: a multidisciplinary
perspective."
"Yearbook of Physical Anthropology," vol. 40, pp. 171-200.

PS permission is granted to cross-post this to other relevant
email lists and bulletin boards.

Tom Billings