From:
Roger Griffiths <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:02:55 -0500
> The first issue is that the operating system cannot find a suitable driver for
> what it calls a Multimedia Controller and indicates it as being an unknown
> device. I've searched the disk that comes with your product and the disk that
> came with the DVD, though I doubt that the DVD has anything to do with the
> Controller in question. I downloaded the latest Win NT drivers from your site.
> Tried the setup.exe, but nothing works and consequently Windows disables the
> Controller.

Just to let you know that I recieved a response from the support people who made the card. They directed me to the software developers site for Win2k & XP drivers. Had a heck of a job getting the driver in, had to uninstallt he card from Device Manager before it worked.

the site for anyone who stumbles across this in the future is http://www.realmagic.com/support/download_hollywood_plus_win2000.htm

I noted that the manufacturer of the card says it is obsolete!

Anyway the upshot is that the whole thing works like a dream and my sanity is restored.

Many thanks to Russ for his valid and duly noted comments below.

Regards Roger.

Russ Poffenberger said:
1.) The driver they supplied does not match the card. Some low cost cards and
drives may use one of several different manufacturers. I have gotten a couple
cards (NIC's in my case) where the card supplied was not supported by the
software disk that came with it. Perhaps a change cut-in from the manufacturer,
but did not get the driver disk updated. Usually getting the latest driver from
the manufacturer web site fixes this.

2.) The card may be bad. The driver is matched to the card through a plug and
play system. The PCI spec establishes a common "config space" which is a set of
registers. Some of these registers have unique codes which identify the card.
The driver is matched to the card by the OS through this identifier. A card can
be bad such that this information is, or appears to be, corrupt.

If you already have the latest drivers from the web site, and it still doesn't
work, then the card itself may be bad. If you just bought it, you can probably
exchange it for another claiming it is defective.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml